Sunday, November 8, 2009

Repainting the Beach Cruiser. Part I

So inspiration wriggles its way into my head at all sorts of crazy times. The other day I was out in the shed and I happened to look over at my beach cruiser bicycle and think... that would look really sweet with a new paint job... The wheels in my head started turning and my hands got to work. It was very much a learning process and I thought I'd share the experience for any one else who gets this sort of wild inspiration for such a unique canvas.
__________________________________________________________
The Original Bike

The first task was to remove all of the stickers using a razor blade and some sort of sticker remover chemical to get all the glue off. I also cleaned the entire bike using some soap and water.

remove all stickers and clean it up

From there the fun really begins, I took the bike apart as much as possible removing everything that I could. A couple of key tips here:


- Take pictures as you disassemble so that you can reference them when you put it back together.

- Keep parts separated in Ziploc bags or some other sort of containers, it may also be helpful to label these parts bags (eg: shift assembly), and put them somewhere you'll remember later.


Take lots of pictures when you disassemble the bike.

Materials I used included 400/ 600 grit sand paper, water, soap, paper towels, rags, Acetone, blue painters tape, razor blades, primer, paint, clear coat, and any tools you need to dissemble the bike.

After I disassembled everything I used blue painters tape on anything still attached that I didn't want to paint. Then, I sanded everything with a 400 grain wet sand to remove the glossy clear coat.

After I taped it off and sanded it down, I had to improvise a way to hang the bike so that all paintable surfaces were exposed. With a little creativity I figured out a way to suspend the bike from the ceiling beams of my shed. Since I didn't have a tool to disassemble the chain I taped it off real good and had to figure out a way to suspend it without it touching the frame. Pure trial and error.

Find a good area to paint and string it up, remember to think about over spray.

Next I used acetone to clean the entire surface of the bike, wear gloves for this, and be sure not to touch the bike after you've cleaned it.

I love the smell of Acetone in the morning

Finally I was ready to spray!

Rock N Roll!

Since the bike was 2 toned I decided to go ahead and do a white primer coat to add durability and to make sure the final coat came out nice and even. I used Rustolium primer.

Multiple light coats of primer work best

primed up and ready for paint

After the primer dried off, I used a Rustiolum metallic black paint to coat the entire bike, again using multiple light coats.back in black


After the paint dried off I spot checked the bike for any runs or missed areas. I did find a couple, so I sanded them down and did a little touch up. Then I waited for it to dry one more time, wiped it down with a clean rag, and got read to do the custom painting.

Now I ready to get crazy with the paint job!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey look like they are just getting started. There are only a handful of models, but it looks as if they have others ready for production.
    beach cruiser bike

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you are ready to begin planting herbs, you might be tempted to buy the more expensive plants from the store.

    how to garden

    ReplyDelete